PurplyCookie's Reviews > Anne of the Island

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

Mar 19, 12

bookshelves: audiobook, book-series, classics, young-adult, coming-of-age, librivox, personal-faves
Read on March 14, 2012, read count: 1

"Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)" takes us away from Avonlea to Kingsport, where Anne is attending Redmond College. This new setting doesn't mean that we miss out on Green Gables altogether, as Anne does return home for vactions, but it does give one a sense of moving on. Never again will Anne be a child living under Marilla's roof--she is an adult, and in this book she is beginning to break away from Green Gables in preparation for the next chapter in her life. Many of the events in this book shape Anne for the rest of her life, and it is an important book for those wishing to read the whole series.

Anne of the Island is no less wonderful than the books preceeding it or following it. Like all the books, it has a blend of humour and poignancy; joy and sorrow. The key drawcards of the Anne books are the characters. The cast includes all kinds of interesting guests including the wonderful Miss Patty and Maria with their china dogs, Miss Ada and her cushions, Mrs Skinner and her romance ("Jog along, black mare") and the list goes on. Best of all, our old friends are back - Anne, Gilbert, Pricilla, Diana, Davy and Dora, Marilla and Mrs Lynde, Charlie Sloane, and all those we knew and loved in earlier books. There are also some fabulous new additions to the circle of friends - Stella, Aunt Jimsie and the irrepressible Philippa Gordon.

Meanwhile, after a thousand romantic dreams and enduring both Diana Barry's wedding and the rejection of Gilbert Blythe's proposal (her second actually), Anne finally meets her Prince Charming, Royal Gardner. He is handsome and rich, in short, everything that Anne ever dreamed that she wanted in a husband. Then comes the fateful moment when Roy proposes and Anne opens her lips to say her faithful yes. But this is but a false dawn in Anne's life and there is a fateful Book of Revelation that Anne has to endure before love takes up the glass of time. Even though I knew how the end of Anne of the Island would turn out, I still waited in suspense 'til the very last page.

There is romanticism and then there is that which is romantic and Montgomery shows the difference. There is a reason that this character and these books are enduring classics of (supposedly) juvenile literature.

It's written beautifully, and I found myself trying to speak as flowery as Anne but could never pull it off.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

Title Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
Author L.M. Montgomery
Reviewed By Purplycookie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of the Island.

Quotes PurplyCookie Liked

L.M. Montgomery
“Besides, I've been feeling a little blue — just a pale, elusive azure. It isn't serious enough for anything darker.”

L.M. Montgomery
“I am afraid to speak or move for the fear all this wonderful beauty will vanish just like a broken silence”

L.M. Montgomery
“...the sorrows God sent us brought comfort and strength with them, while the sorrows we brought on ourselves, through folly or wickedness, were by far the hardest to bear.”