Book Angel Emma's Reviews > In Darkness

In Darkness by Nick Lake

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: guest-reviews

Guest Review by Madison Year 9

A small time gangster, Shorty, lives in a place called Site. He is left trapped in a hospital when an earthquake occurs. He tries to fit the pieces of his life back together in the darkness that now surrounds him. However, while he is telling his story his thoughts keep getting interrupted by a 200 year old ghost.

One of my favorite parts of this book was when the ghost of Toussaint swims out to a boat in order to gain information by eaves dropping on the conversation taking place aboard. I found this part very clever and sneaky. It highlighted the point that Toussaint never intended to hurt anyone he only wanted to make them view his situation differently. Toussaint was by far my favorite character. He was fair in all his actions, although he was trying to free Haiti he did it in a way that was kind and just. He did not kill or punish people who would not follow his orders.

I really disliked the fact that Shorty's Mamman lied to him as I htink he would have benefited from knowing the truth. Apart from this point there is nothing I would change about the story at all.

I will be recommending this book to other people as it was original and interesting. I will be looking out for more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Darkness.