Jeffrey's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover

M_50x66
Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novel, read-in-2012
Read on March 13, 2012

Volume 13 of Bill Willingham's Fables series is all about the Literals, embodiments of the structure of story, first introduced in his Jack of Fables spin-off series. When one of the most powerful Literals awakens and decides that the story has gotten out of control and it is time to start over, it is up to Bigby, Jack, Snow, Gary, and a host of other characters to find a way to keep him from (pun intended) literally ending the world.

To be honest, after slogging through the disappointing Jack of Fables spin-off, I wasn't sure it was worth the effort to get here. But I'm glad I read it, as that is where the essence of this story comes from. Indeed, Mr. Dark, the new Fables series villain, is absent for most of the story. Aside from that niggling issue though, I found this volume to be enjoyable as it plays with the concepts of writing, story, and character in a way I had not previously explored.

Despite my ongoing issues with the character of Jack, the introduction of the Literals to the universe has been rewarding. That said, I have no desire to go back to his story. I'll continue reading Fables proper, but I won't continue Jack of Fables

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 13.

Quotes Jeffrey Liked

Bill Willingham
“Yes, and our kid brother Superhero has died so many times that the readers barely even notice anymore.”
Bill Willingham, Fables, Vol. 13: The Great Fables Crossover

03/13/2012 page 113
50.0% "As much as I found the Jack of Fables series painful, I'm still glad I read it before reading the Great Fables Crossover"