Jennie's Reviews > Cloudland

Apr 01, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, gr-first-reads, read-in-2012, read-in-april
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2012

I have always loved thriller/mystery novels but for some reason I have been shying away from them in recent years. When I saw this book listed as a Goodreads giveaway I decided to take a chance on a thriller. I was disappointed in the story, but also enjoyed the suspense so it wasn’t a total loss.

What bothered me most is what I perceive as a lack of reality. The main character, Catherine, was previously a reporter for a major newspaper but hasn’t been in that field for some years. However, her neighbor and the detective assigned to this murder mystery confided in her crime scene secrets and suspect information. I found this highly unlikely in this day – it didn’t appear that she had ever carried a badge professionally and never worked as a detective, just a reporter. I had anticipated her being more of a detective in the story, but instead she just sort of circled those in the investigation and tossed in her unprofessional opinions and observations.

Some of the side plots seemed a bit underdeveloped (for example, her relationship with her daughter) while others seemed overdeveloped (her pet pig that lived inside her house). This was a bit of a turn off. Her history with her ex-boyfriend seemed just…there. Catherine talked a lot about him and their past but it just seemed a bit like page filler for most of the story.

The murder mystery aspect was suspenseful – leaving me guessing until the end at who was the responsible culprit. This aspect saved this novel for me because without it I would have entertained quitting it but instead I kept reading if only to find out whom the murderer was. The writing was decent – not horrible, but the dialog was off for me. I couldn’t put my finger on it exactly but it just didn’t seem realistic.

I think there must be better murder mysteries out there for me to read. This one just fell flat as an overall experience.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloudland.

04/01/2012 page 87

Debbie We seem to feel very similarly about this book!

message 2: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary I feel exactly the same way on every point you made!

message 3: by Mary (new) - rated it 1 star

Mary I feel exactly the same way on every point you made!