Annie's Reviews > Beautiful

Beautiful by Katie Piper

Mar 13, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

Katie Piper's memoir of her journey through trauma to triumph is one of the most moving books I have ever read. She is absolutely raw on the page, exposing the darkest and lightest parts of her experience in equal measure and inviting the reader to view her very soul. It must have taken such courage to share herself so completely with the world.

But I suppose that's the thing that constantly strikes you about Katie as you read through these pages, her courage. She is tougher and stronger than I think she even acknowledges and an example to all of us of the gratitude and bravery we should display in our own lives.

There were certainly parts of this book that were difficult to read, including some scenes of sexual violence. As a woman, I was horrified by what she had been through, by what had been done to her and by the daily psychological challenges she has to face. My admiration for her grew with each page I read as did my disgust for the heinous monsters who attacked her. 16 years seems too short a sentence for such violent and disturbing crimes.

Katie's determination to not let them beat her and to build a new and rewarding life for herself was amazing. She has endured countless surgeries and hospital visits and rebuilt herself both physically and mentally. And she is still an absolutely gorgeous young woman! I encourage you to look up the Katie Piper Foundation and learn more about the work she and her team do for burns victims.

Katie, the world is lucky to have you and your beautiful smile in it. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful.