Ddpjclaf's Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Mar 14, 2012

liked it
Read from March 13 to 14, 2012

**Free copy received from Netgalley for the purposes of review**

Kami Glass hears voices in her head--well, not voices, A voice. For as long as she can remember, Jared has been Kami's closest friend, with her when she's scared, talking her through times when she's sad, helping her with things that are too much for her to do alone. Never did she imagine that he was real.

In the town of Sorry-in-the-Vale, being different and a lot strange are not desired qualities. For the town has enough secrets and enough weird already. Secrets that are just as dangerous as they are strange.

The premise of this story sounded intriguing from the start, and from what I know of Ms. Rees Brennan's Demon's Lexicon trilogy, I was sure she would keep me captured from the opening. And she did.

The story is fast moving and is easy to get into. It is filled with action and humor and near kisses that make you want to cry when they don't connect (and some that do!). As with The Demon's Lexicon, Ms. Rees Brennan knows how to spin an interesting tale! I was sad when it ended!

Kami is a great protagonist. She's strong, but not so strong that she doesn't acknowledge the need for help at times. Which is refreshing in a trend of heroines who seem to be "stupidly heroic." Everyone needs help sometimes, even the bravest and strongest of people. It's that ability to ask for it that I think makes one truly brave. I really enjoyed Kami because of this. The telepathic connection between her and Jared was interesting, though it was very reminiscent of Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. In fact, the whole book reminded me of that series, to be honest...

I also liked Jared. Though I wished there had been more scenes from his POV in the beginning portion of the book (we got more later). I believe the author purposefully kept his POV out of it for awhile to makes him seem mysterious, but honestly, for me, it would have added to the story if I could have been in his mind earlier (though, I guess we kind of were through Kami...).

Jared is your typical, tortured, reluctant hero. I can't share much about him and the reasons he is the way he is without spoiling much of the book. But there is a side to him that is soft and vulnerable. I think this is why I yearned for more of his POV. I wanted to get at that side, to see what he really was all about. Hopefully in the next book we will see this.

I really wanted to give this book 4 starts but in the end couldn't. There were parts that felt too roughly cut, like maybe part of it had been left out of the copy by accident--and this could be entirely so. This is a galley, and I could tell it was not the final draft (there were still spelling errors and typos, so it makes sense that perhaps the transitions will be smoother in the finished copy.) I also read this on my kindle and the format was seriously messed up. There were places where dialogues from two or three separate characters were combined in the same paragraph, and spots where POV would change, as would the location/time of the scene, with no warning. This lent to a lot of confusion that I think will not be present in the final copy (both hard and electronic). I tried not to hold this "formatting issue" against the story itself, because I know that will be remedied. However, because I don't know whether the choppiness will be any better, I can't really go higher. I hope it will be fixed, because I was really confused at times.

All in all, I really enjoyed this and can't wait to see what happens in the second installation! I love Ms. Rees Brennan's work, and look forward to reading more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

03/13/2012 page 20
5.0% "So excited to have gotten this from netgally. Interesting so far!"

Elena I had e-book formatting issues too! I think for my copy (a PDF) it was that PDFs aren't really meant to be read on the Nook, which is what I have--any changes to font or text size result in a complete massacre of the manuscript, but if left at its original size, the PDF was so small I nearly needed a magnifying glass to read it.

I agree that the glimpses we got of Jared's POV were very rewarding, and I wish there were more of them.