Bruce's Reviews > Blue Mars

Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: sf-fantasy
Read in March, 2012

Completing my re-read of one of my favorite trilogies 15 years later. The first time I read these I thought Blue Mars was good but a very different book about very different things from Red and Green Mars. This time around it feels more integrated and a fitting capstone to the trilogy.

It felt Utopian to me throughout despite the conflicts driving the plot. And not just utopian but more satisfyingly realistically utopian than Pacific Edge. Robinson has done an amazing job at starting with our screwed up situation and mapping out a future society worth living in with a hard science foundation.

One really amazing and beautiful theme of this book which emerges out of the setting of Green Mars (spoiler if you haven't gotten that far yet) is that humanity must hang on until the first generation of the life extended dies off. But it's this same mechanism that allows the multiple hundred year span of this trilogy to follow mostly the same viewpoint characters whom one comes to know and mostly to love. So the vital part that these characters continue to play in both the happenings of the book and the narrative itself become the problem that needs to be solved. It's an amazing tension.

Robinson continues to weave a lot of "enlightenment" material through different viewpoints, but in this one it feels more like wisdom gleaned from reading about enlightenment rather than true realization itself. Though of course one can't really say...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Mars.