Carolyn F.'s Reviews > Mermaid Chair

Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook, contemporary-romance
Read from March 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I'll start this review by saying I usually steer clear of books with adultery. Makes me too uncomfortable. I started this audiobook not knowing it was about adultery until I was already engrossed in it. I thought to myself, it's fiction, it doesn't have to be your Pollyanna view of the world. So I kept listening to the audiobook and I'm glad I did.

First of all Eliza Foss, the narrator, was great, both Southern and male voices.

Jessie's mother has cut off her finger purposely and so Jessie goes to where her mother lives and where she grew up to see if she can find out what's happening. She hasn't been there in a long time. She and her mother had this strange falling out about a robe with a dragon on it that didn't seem like the line in the sand they made it out to be. Jessie's also using this as a way to have a time out from her husband Hugh. She feels like she's drifting without any real purpose. While on the island, she falls in love with a monk who hasn't taken his final vows and they begin a very intense affair. Jessie also seems to fall back in love with the island. There are some family secrets that are revealed. Also Jessie comes to the point where she needs to decide whether she should live her life with or without Hugh or Thomas (Whit), she just can't seem to make up her mind where she wants her life to lead.

Very good book. First time reading this author. I would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mermaid Chair.

02/20/2016 marked as: read

Avril Somerville Listening to the audiobook version as well. Interesting how different the reviews are of those who listened to the book versus those who read it. So far, it's a decent read - not my best, not my worst. I wonder whether I would feel the same had I actually read a print or e-version.

Carolyn F. I think the same thing Somer, sometimes I think if there's a great narrator they can make a so-so book a whole lot better.

Avril Somerville Yes, Carolyn. Toni Morrison narrates her own book, a mercy; this has its disadvantages. Though as a writer/reader, I appreciate her lending her own voice to her own work, it can also make for a difficult, less "entertaining" read.

Carolyn F. I've heard the same about Stephen King. I did listen to Step-Ball-Change where the author did a great job.