Thomas Dean's Reviews > The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism

The Genius of the Beast by Howard Bloom

Apr 20, 12

Read from March 12 to April 20, 2012

Definitely a very interesting take on the idea of capitalism actually is. Instead of looking at dollar figures, economic theories, or number crunching, Bloom looks at the premise of what drives human beings. He sets out to define our experiences and desires and how that leads to our decisions. He defines capitalism more in terms of our inner workings.

Bloom spans across human history, from Jericho to Prince, from the 2008 economic crash to not just 1929, but to 1852 and even back to the 16th century. He brings up stories, analogies, and experiences that vary from business to biology to myth and more.

If you are looking for a unique take on what drives humans to make decisions, our history, and how it connects, influences, and drives us and the economy, look no further. However, if you want a book that gets more to the point of capitalism and how it best works, I would recommend "Economics on One Lesson" by Henry Hazlit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Genius of the Beast.

03/12/2012 page 219