Dk Langan's Reviews > Memoirs of a Gothic Soul

Memoirs of a Gothic Soul by Rebekah Armusik

U_50x66
Mar 12, 12

Read in January, 2012

Rebekah Armusik’s books make her account of supernatural powers come alive through relate-able characters and a gift for storytelling. I love when books and authors can make you see something in your mind that isn’t really there. Rebekah goes past that talent and leaves you haunted by the characters and tales she has woven long after you have closed the book.

With a backdrop of Slovak ancestry there is richness to what Rebekah weaves from century’s old folk lore to modern day symbolism. There is a strong underlying force to maintain balance between these worlds and of good and evil that keeps the page turning. The past history of many of the gothic characters and settings are well researched and detailed so the story lines converge to the modern day world. Conversations flow easily between the main characters and are relevant and completely believable to the reader who must understand the past in order to support the protagonist’s quest to attain her future destiny.

I will admit the main character Nadija was a personality I struggled to like at first. She was so headstrong and determined to lead an unknown path, at times I wanted her to just comply and mainstream. I realize this was my own form of protection for a character that I so admired and respected as she seemed to be needed more than she was needy. Brief glimpses into past vile relationships and family struggles maintained truth to a character that came into herself regardless.

Nadija’s true strength came from recognizing herself as being born both blessed and damned at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Gothic Soul.