Trudi's Reviews > Other People's Rejection Letters: Relationship Enders, Career Killers, and 150 Other Letters You'll Be Glad You Didn't Receive

Other People's Rejection Letters by Bill Shapiro

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, non-fiction, the-big-letdown
Read on March 12, 2012

I picked up this little book hoping for a few chuckles, and maybe even some inspiration. I should have read Stephen's review first, and saved myself the trouble... or just skimmed the official website.

This really is a sorry excuse for a whole book, but I'm going to give it two stars for several notable inclusions:

the "request for discharge" for a Private James M. Hendrix: Apparently Private James "requires excessive supervision while on duty" and can't refrain from playing with himself while on detail (snicker). He also "cannot function while performing duties and thinking about his guitar". (No shit. Maybe if Jimi had his guitar with him while on detail he could have refrained from playing with himself).

Jackie Robinson tells President Eisenhower to get bent:
This was the highlight of the collection for me as Mr. Robinson lets loose his indignation towards Eisenhower's asinine comment that Negroes just need to show more "patience". It's 1958, and Jackie's mad as hell and is not going to take it any more. His scathing letter is thoughtful, articulate and passionate.

1934 Application for Executive Clemency:
This one caught my attention because it is such a "real" document: you can get rejected for a lot of things and move on with your life, but if you're on Death Row and your application for clemency is rejected, you're fucked. As if to prove the point, you turn the page and this rejection is followed by a letter confirming the applicant's execution was successfully carried out. Reading those two documents side by side gave me the willies.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Other People's Rejection Letters.

Stephen Well put...a few pieces of gold wrapped in crap.