Mike Kennedy's Reviews > One on One: Behind the Scenes with the Greats in the Game

One on One by John Feinstein

Apr 15, 12

bookshelves: other-sports
Read from March 12 to April 15, 2012

John Feinstein is the greatest author/columnist in sports, just ask him. His ego aside, he does know how to write an interesting book. The first four hundred pages revolve around the first ten books he wrote and the stories behind them. He spends a lot of time on the book that made him, "A Season on the Brink.". Having never read this book, it was really interesting to see how Knight (thank god he isn't here to choke me) ran his program and how self centered and arrogant he was. I found myself on the outside looking in a few times having not read all of John's books, although for the most part the stories stand on there own with a little background from John. The last hundred pages are follow up on the people in his book. I found this section hit or miss. It was frustrating when he teases interviews with Ivan Lendl and John McEnroe, but only goes on to give you the story of the Lendl interview. This epilogue was moving as he spoke about the great bond at the service academies, and how their teams are truly like a family. Overall I like this book, although I could have done with a little less of John's ego.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One on One.