Sophia's Reviews > Compulsively Mr. Darcy

Compulsively Mr. Darcy by Nina Benneton

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: jane-austen-austenesque, contemporary-romance
Read from March 12 to 13, 2012

What happens when you move Pride and Prejudice into the 21st Century, make Darcy a man with a boatload of issues including a compulsive disorder, and make Elizabeth an impulsive Berkley educated Doctor of Infectious disease?

Something utterly delightful and unexpected happens that's what!

The story begins with our main characters along with Jane and the other Bingleys arriving in S. Korea for the stated purpose of adopting a baby for the Hursts though Bingley brought Darcy to get him a much needed vacation away from his work. Bingley unfortunately is injured and happens to be treated by none other than Elizabeth. Darcy, in his controlling mode best, jumps all over Elizabeth for not putting Bingley first and this leads to Elizabeth jumping to conclusions and the beginning of a whirlwind relationship. Their relationship is parts sweet, passionate, humorous and irritating as they draw ever closer to one another.
The second third of the story moves to NYC and Elizabeth sees how the other half lives and must deal with Darcy in his true setting and more importantly his past.
The final part of the book is where the reader must buckle up for the fast and bumpy ride. There are foreshadows through the first parts of the book of villains up to trouble trying to break up Darcy and Elizabeth and trying to line their own pockets. It is not until this point that the villains really get active and everyone must pull together to foil them.

The characters are well written with that blend of flaw and lovableness that made me see them as more than just shadows of the original P&P gang.
The plot was definitely new and refreshing with only winks and nods to the mother story.
I appreciated the attention to settings, pace, and shifting in points of view that really kept my interest. Normally the idea of two people thoroughly misunderstanding each other when simple communication would have solved the problems would have driven me to fling the book aside, but I found the way the author teased out reasons and motives made me less infuriated with that behavior and more sympathetic than usual.

I must toss in some cautions here so readers know what to expect. This is contemporary so we have a steamy romance, adult issues, and language usage.

Well done contemporary take on the classic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsively Mr. Darcy.

03/12/2012 page 138