Andy's Reviews > The Age of Kali: Indian Travels & Encounters

The Age of Kali by William Dalrymple

Aug 05, 08

Read in July, 2008

From wikipedia - "... collection of essays from a decade of travel around the Indian subcontinent. It deals with many controversial subjects such as Sati [widow martyr], the caste wars in India, political corruption, and terrorism."

Dalrymple's stamp on the book is nice and subtle. Kind of an interview-style book, with his Indian friends sending him down paths, and the Indian people telling the stories he is interested in. Not always/mostly movers and shakers, but lots of "just folks" in on big events. Great survey of the sub-continent -- first for me. Plenty of uncomfortable subjects, but such a great history. Things may have changed a lot in some of the areas the decade or more since published.

This was a yard sale book -- I didn't initially pick it up with great enthusiasm, just lacking anything else at hand. Refreshed my memory about two other books of Indian history/biography/historical fiction I enjoyed in the past: Bashai Tudu (read couple of years) and Gandhi's Truth (read way back, in my late teens?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Kali.