Matt Kelland's Reviews > White Seed: The Untold Story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke

White Seed by Paul Clayton

May 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-adventure
Read from April 20 to May 13, 2012

A good, solid historical novel based on what little evidence remains of this famous lost colony. It's an event that's fascinated me for years, and amazingly this is the first novel on the subject I've found. This version of events is extremely plausible and would make a great movie or mini-series.

Although I enjoyed the story a lot, there were some things that irritated me. The Kindle edition was annoyingly full of punctuation mistakes, and I didn't like his habit of using old-fashioned words like 'twas. It's fine in dialog, but not in the main narrative. The word "you" is spelled "yeh" throughout, which made me think of Hagrid in Harry Potter every time. And the word "boose" seems odd - I've never seen it spelled that way, and can't find any etymology with that spelling. Why didn't he stick with the conventional "booze"?

I'm keen to read more of his work: now that I live in Florida, I'd be interested to read about the conquest of the place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Seed.

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Garrison I've never seen the word booze spelled as boose", either...but since it's not an actual word, but slang..for all we know, it may well be hhow it was spelled in England which is where the characters had originated, no?
I agree that t'was isn't correct in narrative...was the story written as if a main character character was writing it in the first person?Because then it would make sense. 'twas was not a word, but an "apostrophized" combination of two words,but we have ot admit," 'twas" 'twas used a lot centuries ago! ;-)