Lyndi's Reviews > Natural Born Charmer

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Oct 05, 13

bookshelves: makes-my-morals-ache, d-n-f
Read on March 12, 2012

I did't even make it to 20%. BUT I HAVE A GOOD REASON! I think so, anyway. The blurb above pretty much covers the 20% I read. You know Dean and Blue are headed to his summer house, where they will meet up with the lady taking care of the renovations. The scene in which they arrive is the scene in which I lose all faith in humanity. No, it's not that bad.

The scene:
Dean meets Mrs. O'Hara, the woman in charge of renovations, whom he has only exchanged emails with.
Mrs. O'Hara turns out to be Dean's mother, April.
Dean demands that she leave immediately, giving her no quarter.
Blue verbally vomits in hopes that a reconciliation between them is possible, blurting out that Dean's mother is dying.
Dean walks out.

I don't like it. Not one bit. No siree. Nu uh. I've seen people do this in real life, in addition to the "You can't leave me, I'm pregnant!" thing. It leaves a funny taste in my mouth and I just don't like it. I can't get into the fantasy when it's a fantasy I so strongly dislike.

HOWEVER!!! If that hadn't happened, I would have happily read on. I was trying so hard not to laugh aloud when I started the first chapter at work and continued laughing freely when I picked it back up at home. Even the scene that made me stop reading was funny! The verbal sparring between Dean and Blue was wonderful and I liked both characters immediately. I'm disappointed that the author chose to go with that story line because I was really enjoying myself up until that point and I know I would have enjoyed more of their banter.

So if you're not opposed to the whole "telling somebody you're terminally ill to get your way" thing, I suggest giving this book a shot! I'm going to try another book by the same author and should have better luck.

I would definitely recommend this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Born Charmer.

10/03/2013 marked as: read
10/05/2013 marked as: dnf
10/06/2013 marked as: d-n-f

Lint The terminally ill lie ploy doesn't last as long as you think. If you're not afraid of me spoiling this for you, I'll go ahead and tell you that Dean sees through that about 30 minutes after he's told about it and April tells him it was a lie shortly after. Dean is a pretty sharp fella, it's no surprise that he wasn't fooled. So if you didn't finish the book, hopefully this is reason enough to make you continue ;)

Lyndi OoooOOoooh.. I've still got my copy archived in my Kindle, so I'll try it again in the next few days. Thank you! xoxo

Lint Lyndi wrote: "OoooOOoooh.. I've still got my copy archived in my Kindle, so I'll try it again in the next few days. Thank you! xoxo"

Sure thing, hopefully you'll like it as much as I did :D