Eileen's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

7208929
Jan 30, 13

bookshelves: romance, classic-retelling, dystopian, young-adult, won, gift, physical, i-own
Read in January, 2013

Check out more of my reviews at ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***!

Scarlet, the sequel to Cinder, by Marissa Meyer doesn't only live up to the high expectations set up by Cinder, but it surpasses them and only leaves even higher expectations for Cress, which, of course, I have no doubt will be exceeded again, because Marissa Meyer is just that awesome.

Scarlet's best feature was no doubt it represented the original Little Red Riding Hood story. It had many of the same qualities as our classic fairytale, like the big bad Wolf, Scarlet's grandma, Scarlet herself, but it also branched off from what we usually know about the tale, like the futuristic quality and the Lunar population. I applaud Marissa Meyer for crafting a book so similar and so different from the tale we are all so familiar with. (I even have a pop-up book of Little Red Riding Hood! Not kidding)

In Scarlet, not only are our old characters Cinder and Kai furthering their journey, but our new characters Scarlet and Wolf's destinies are inextricably tied with them, making our once small group into a not-so-small group. Even though Cinder and Kai are separated for the entire novel, some chapters are told from Kai and Cinder's point of view, which really highlight how big and how dangerous the stakes are.

I also love Iko, Cinder's cyborg. I just needed to say that one thing.

Scarlet also really transports you into the world of the futuristic France setting. There is the same technology that we saw in Cinder, but it still felt so realistic to be with Scarlet, Wolf, Cinder, and Kai. I sincerely felt so bad for them, because this world is so corrupt and messed up. Queen Levana, the queen of this species from the moon, was so evil and so sinister I wanted her to leave so insanely badly just so these characters that I loved so much would get their deserved happily after ever.

Our protagonist Scarlet in Scarlet (see the connection?) completely captured me in her strength and loyalty to her grandma. And Wolf, Scarlet's love interest, was so unbelievably HOT. I loved him so much, because he was so mysterious and aloof yet so caring and compassionate and loyal. Furthermore, not only did all of our characters grow and strengthen by themselves, but they also strengthened in the presence of each other, which gave every character meaning that wasn't as prominently there before.

A unique and modern twist on Little Red Riding Hood, Scarlet will enthrall you with its compelling characters, it's futuristic French setting, the H-O-T romance, and the plot that will never let these poor characters get a break. I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda I am desperate to read this, as i just loved Cinder so much!

Brooke Oh, I so want this now! I can't wait to read this!

Eileen @Lucinda: It's totally worth it! I hope you totally love it! :)

@The Cover Contessa: Enjoy! The release date is in only six days I believe :)

Charlie Chouinard I'm taking a Poll on my blog for who would cast as the best Scarlet here: http://charliebooks.blogspot.ca Because Movie rights for the Lunar Chronicles are in discussion! eg Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Brittney Snow, or Amy Adams.