Julia 's Reviews > The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

Mar 16, 12

Read from March 12 to 16, 2012

Tess considers herself very lucky to get a spot on the Titanic as a personal maid for Lady Duff-Gordon. Tess is a seamstress, more than ready to learn her craft from such a famed designer. The short time spent on the Titanic is full of wonderful descriptions of this glamorous ship, but the time after docking with the Carpathia focused on the hearings about the disaster. I found a lot of these historical tidbits about the aftermath of the sinking really fascinating, but some of the actions of the characters seemed not so much forced, as too quick for reality. Tess' immediate invitation into the fashion fold in the week after the event was quick and her two beaux (both becoming interested before the disaster) were entranced almost immediately. There was also some fascinating info about fashion of the time. Tess saw her first new fastener, which I believe we would call a zipper, in those first weeks at Lucile's design studio. After some googling, I discovered that the Duff-Gordons were real people and were indeed on Lifeboat #1, nicknamed the Millionaire's Boat. This quick, very descriptive read relies on a bit of chick lit blended with Titanic history.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker.