Hilary's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Mar 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fairy-tale-retellings, grades-7-8, grades-5-6, orphans, science-fiction, teen
Read in March, 2012

Cinder works in a busy market in Beijing where she plies her trade as a mechanic. She is a nothing and a nobody, despised by the vendors around her and her step mother and sister for being a lowly cyborg - less then human. She is resigned to the lonely life as a mechanic cyborg who will never attend balls or get married like normal girls do. Then Prince Kai approaches her to fix his broken droid, her step sister get's the dreaded plague, leutomosis, that has been sweeping the world, and her step mother volunteers her for leutomosis research without her consent. Suddenly Cinder's world has been turned upside down as she finds herself fighting for her life, falling in love with a prince, possibly bearing a cure for leutomosis.
Oh Cinder, I wanted you to be so much more! I see a cyborg leg shoved into a red pump and I want dark and gritty like Blade Runner. I don't know what I expected as this is, afterall, a Cinderella retelling. There is enough mystery and suspense to keep the reader engaged, but suspense sometimes fell a little flat - Cinder's enemies just never seem that scary, nor does the dreaded leutomosis that is dropping people like flies. Cinder is a sympathetic enough character, but the rest of the characters are a bit flat and two-dimensional (absent minded doctor, Charming Prince straight out of a Disney movie) . The setting is a little unrealized - Beijing was busy and teeming with life and tangible, but I couldn't help but wonder how people managed to actually live on the moon. **SPOILER** I will say, the prospect of a cyborg princess with an appendage that wields tools like knives and screwdrivers sounds pretty awesome, so I may check out the sequels in the hope that she kicks some ass with her new hand! **END SPOILER**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.