Sistermagpie's Reviews > Absolute Friends

Absolute Friends by John le Carré

Mar 12, 12

Read in March, 2012

It continues to be interesting watching Le Carre carry his world into the present, leaving the Cold War behind. I wasn't sure of the friendship between Mundy and Sasha, the pair of the title, right up until the end. This being a spy novel, I kept expecting one to betray or have betrayed the other. Instead both men are bound to the flaws that seem to haunt all spies. Ted Mundy is another interesting creation, a man with a history of shaky identities and changing locals. The one stable thing in his life is his friend.

As time goes by Mundy becomes more and more of a ghost to the people in his life, while those people come to seem like ghosts in the narrative. Secrets become the truest proof of friendship in a friendship that is, itself, a secret.

Early on, when Mundy and Sasha first met, I had a hard time understanding the friendship. The idea of being stuck in an uncomfortable building with dozens of strident college students just seemed like a nightmare, but by the end of the book I remembered those scenes with the same kind of nostalgia Mundy and Sasha would have done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Absolute Friends.