Kendra's Reviews > Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume

Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from... by Jennifer O'Connell

Aug 21, 2008

it was ok
Read in August, 2008

You have no idea how much I wanted to like this book. I was a huge Judy Blume fan as a kid, so I figured that a tribute to her had to be pretty good as well. Nope. Perhaps if the 20-some contributing writers had each written something unique, the book would have been tolerable, but it's nothing but "Just like Sally J. Freedman, I..." and "Like Margaret, I..." through the whole damn thing. And, if I counted correctly, the plots of Deenie and Forever... were re-hashed 6,000 times. There were one or two gems among the essays, but for the most part, this book felt like assigned reading rather than pleasure reading.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume.

Kendra THANK YOU for that link -- what a trip down memory lane!! I recently unearthed some old Paula Danziger books, and now this is really giving me the urge to go on a hunt for all of my old favorites!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Your review is exactly what I was thinking as I read this book. Halfway through the book I was asking, "Have any of these authors read anything other than Deenie and Forever?".