Alex's Reviews > Frat Boy and Toppy

Frat Boy and Toppy by Anne Tenino

Mar 15, 2012

bookshelves: romance, riptide, queer, humor, contemporary
Read in March, 2012

Overall
I'm very hit or miss with comedic stories as my sense of humor doesn't align with others' humors in many ways. So while I probably missed a large chunk of what was meant to be comedy in this story, I also found there was plenty to laugh about too. In addition, while this is a fairly light story about a young man realizing and exploring his sexuality, it also mixes in some deeper elements without dwelling on them too much and losing the heart of the story. Sexy sexy-time, great characters, and generally amusing narrators all blend together for a fun story.

Strengths
These characters are fun, nice guys who think less of themselves without overwhelming the reader with angst. They both have some history, and while that is part of the driving force of the latter half of the story, it's not so heavy as to pull away from enjoying the lightness of the novel. In addition there is a varying cast of side characters, from Brad's goofy family to Sebastian's jerk roommate.

The simplicity of the story lends itself to focusing on the characters, which are really the strength of the story. However, the plot, while simple, isn't lacking, but instead captures an incident (and the surrounding incidents), blossoming outward to the end. Simple, yes, but satisfying.

Weaknesses
Some of the writing came across as a little stiff and awkward, mainly when Brad is narrating, and I'm not sure if the author was trying to differentiate their voices or not. In addition, Tenino was going for a very distinct style with a fragmented structure that worked for the characters and story, but some readers may find distracting.

I am affiliated with Riptide Publishing. Read as a proof.
Be sure to check out my other reviews on my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frat Boy and Toppy.