Kandice's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Aug 31, 15

bookshelves: bl-2nd-quarter-dystopia-challenge
Read in June, 2015

2015 - I loved the subtle world building that King did in The Gunslinger. He plops us down in Roland's world and gives us little bits of info here and there to piece together where he is.

He shows us a world with a long history not unlike ours, but more parallel than linear. I love the idea of a world "moving on". A bit like "the heavyside lair" or Tolkien's idea for his worlds. It verges on high fantasy, but also has bits of reality, western, horror, almost everything.

We see Roland in a very unflattering light and yet begin to love him despite his sacrifice of a child. We don't understand his quest yet, but King gives us the smallest glimpse possible to lure us in.

Plus, the end of the novel when King talks about the vastness of reality, time and space is enough to make the entire novel worth reading in my opinion.

The man strings words together in a way that lead me on. Always.

2009 - The first time I read this I wasn't really ready to understand it. This time I fell in love not only with Roland and his Quest, but with the words, phrases and sentences used to describe his world. The idea of a time "moving on" makes so much sense to me.

I've also lost sleep contemplating size and our particular place in the Universe. There's Earth, then space, our galaxy, another and another and another, but there must always be something else, yes? WHAT??? King has captured that endless conundrum in a way both fascinating and beautiful.
17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

Quotes Kandice Liked

Stephen King
“I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”
Stephen King, The Gunslinger

06/24/2009 page 74
06/12/2015 marked as: currently-reading 1 comment
06/13/2015 page 29
12.0% "I am listening this time around and Guidall is a sublime reader!"
06/14/2015 page 41
17.0% "I love listening to Guidall read this, but I can only listen in the car so it will be slow going. Gradual gratification, I guess."
06/14/2015 page 46
19.0% "OMG! This is the first time I've ever read the second version of this book. It is so, so much better with the added references. I am sorely disappointed I waited this long to read it." 7 comments
06/16/2015 page 84
36.0% "I am getting a bit confused about what is original and what is reworked. I am going to print out a guide. Like, does he mention Blaze as a writer in the original?!?! I don't remember that!" 6 comments
06/20/2015 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna The first book is slow and hard to get into---keep reading the series I promise it gets better!!

Angie Is this the first time you have read this book?

Kandice No, I read it when it first came out. I actually read the first 3 or 4, but for one reason or another never finished. I'm glad I am reading it as an older person. It means much more to me.

Becky I'm thrilled that you loved this, but I know you'd give it 6 stars if you read the revised edition. ;D