Dorothy's Reviews > The Places in Between

The Places in Between by Rory Stewart

Dec 23, 08

bookshelves: travel-and-adventure
Read in December, 2008

I started out thinking I was going to really, really like this book. It is about a fascinating part of the world and one that is extremely important to us - and important that we understand - Afghanistan. It's a travelogue of Stewart's walk across that country, from Herat to Kabul after September 11, 2001.

In the last couple of years, I have read Khaled Hosseini's fictional books about his native land and I found them very revealing and sympathetic. I had hoped for a broadening of that experience with this non-fiction book, and indeed there were moments of revelation and increased understanding, but in the end, I found that it left me cold. Literally. I felt the need to wear a sweater while reading it.

In large part, that was because this is - necessarily, I guess - a very one-sided and one dimentional story. It's the story of the male population, or at least a segment of the male population, of Afghanistan, and it is a story of unrelieved hardship and squalor, not just physically, but intellectually and spiritually. While that may be the truth, it was very hard for me to read.

I couldn't help wondering throughout about the missing characters - the women. What must it be like to be a woman in these Afghanistan villages? "A Thousand Splendid Suns" gave us a glimpse of their lives but there is little hint of the lives of these invisible people here, and very little thought seems to be given to them by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Places in Between.