Mary's Reviews > Your Own, Sylvia: A Verse Portrait of Sylvia Plath

Your Own, Sylvia by Stephanie Hemphill

Apr 04, 2012

Read from March 12 to April 04, 2012

I thought this books was heartbreaking, eye opening, and fantastic! I think the book in verse form was a huge turn off for me, but once I got past that one issue it was a quick read. This isn't something I would recommend for anyone under high school level and possibly not even until sophomore year.
This book is like wild fire about a family devastated by the loss of a father, and the little girl that grew up the the guilt of wishing her father dead. Once the death of the father happened Sylvia was lost, and this is something even her mother could feel. Growing up she was always the apple of everyone's eye, already published at the age of eight, and a star student.
Anyone who was within a distance would follow and try to absorb the light the would shine off Sylvia and her teachers all loved her. The only problem was her depression which as we all know to some degree sucks us under. During the winter months and when returning home Sylvia went under and nearly lost her life more than once.
The true danger for her, something even her mother Aurelia feared, was her trip to England. When she met Ted Hughes this would be her ultimate mistake. The life she builds with him is incredible, and unstable which lead her down her path to sweet death that calls out for her.
This is a must read book at least once in a life. It shows you the carelessness of childhood and teenage years, also the difficulty of depression. Some how this book will pull you in and by the ending you will be in awe of everything you read. I promise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Own, Sylvia.

03/12/2012 page 17