Callie's Reviews > The Rachel Papers

The Rachel Papers by Martin Amis

Oct 11, 07

it was ok
Read in October, 2007

So I had a really difficult time finishing this book. Several times I wanted to quit reading it, but I honestly hate stopping a book when I'm half way through. I think my big mistake with this one was seeing the terribly made 80's film adaptation prior to reading the book. Man, was that one terrible film.
Second mistake, was that I couldn't stand the main character, Charles Highway, rather I LOATHED him. What a horribly self-centered, obnoxious, womanizing, vile protagonist.
And, yeah, I get that that's sort of the point. I suppose. But I think it's pretty hard to get into anything you're reading if you despise the narrator- am I correct? His descriptions of his sexual encounters with Rachel were horrendous (I.E. "It was too dark there (thank God) for me to be able to see what was right in front of my nose, just some kind of glistening pouch, redolent of oysters"). Yuck.
Definitely not my cup of tea, thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rachel Papers.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy I just remember that my ex-husband loved this movie...and I think I liked it too...I like Amis..let me know how it turns out!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm impressed that you stayed with it, Callie! Congratulations. Your comments about struggling to identify with the narrator I've heard before in regards to Rabbit, Run (The Updike Novel)and also American Psycho. Both books I've never read, but have been meaning to.

Hugo Emanuel I actually love books whose narrators I despise. They are jolly good fun. "A Clockwork Orange", "Earthly Powers" and "Heller's "Something Happenned" are a few examples of works of fiction with despicable but tremendously compelling narrators.