Manuela's Reviews > Split

Split by Swati Avasthi

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, abuse

A raw, heartbreaking, sometimes gut-wrenching story of domestic abuse and the fight to get out of it and start a new life.
Jace shows up at his brother Christian's doorstept out of the blue, completely unexpected, years after Christian left home to escape their father's abuse, leaving Jace and their mother behind. The years apart, the abuse, the secrets and regrets they have, the emotional and physical scars they carry, caused a hole between the two brothers that is not easy to fill and cross. Only going back and being honest with themselves and with each other about everything, they will manage to find each other again and really start over. It's not an easy journey, for either of them, but one they face with courage.
Some parts of the books were very difficult to read because they were pretty graphic in their portrayal of the abuse Jace, Christian and their mother had to suffer, but this made the story feel very real and honest.
In the end, not everything is made perfect and that's sad, but it also ok to me because as real life teaches us, sometimes, some things cannot be changed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split.

Quotes Manuela Liked

Swati Avasthi
“We all screw up. We all wish we were stronger than we are, and not one of us will get through this life without regret.”
Swati Avasthi, Split