Ceitidh's Reviews > The Waiting Sky

Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, arc, received-won, young-adult
Read from July 27 to 29, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

I have never been much into tornados. Actually, I'm pretty afraid of them and thanks lord where I live we have none of them. However, chasing tornadoes in The Waiting Sky was quiet exciting and terrifying at the same time. Zielin definitely uses this element wonderfully to deliver an emotional read as intense and powerful as the tornado itself.

I really enjoyed this book. I think that Zielin did a great job creating a well-thought-out story with warm and authentic characters. Jane is in fact one of those characters I grew to love during the course of the story even though at times, I couldn't understand why she was enduring all of her mother's alcoholic problems. Many times, I just wanted to grab her and shake her until some sense came into her. Jane is extremely understanding with her mother, or maybe she just didn't want to accept how serious her mom's drinking problem was. Jane kept finding excuses to justify her mother's drinking problem to the point she would even cover for her or pay for her mistakes. As a reader, I was able to sympathize with Jane and understand her problems regardless all the reasons I had not to. Jane is just so lovable and her love for her mother is extremely admirable, and that's the reason why I was able to understand her. Jane also has a best friend, Cat, who does realize how serious Jane's mom drinking problem is, and who tells her to wake up and accept how wrong her mom is doing. Thanks to her, Jane decides to go spend the summer with her brother Ethan, who along with his team, chase tornados in Oklahoma.

The Waiting Sky explores the love between brother and sister I absolutely loved this about this novel. Also, there is some romance in the story as well. Max, a boy who also chases tornadoes (but from another team) brings a perfect amount of swooning to Jane's life. Finally, there is also the chasing tornado element that I absolutely loved! This actually gives an exciting twist to this contemporary novel and it felt highly refreshing as well. Needless to say that the aggressive weather doubled the intensity of this emotional story wonderfully.

The Waiting Sky is a emotional and intense read that delivers much more than just a dysfunctional family and teenage issues. Lara Zielin's wonderful writing, solid and lovable characters, and meaningful story guarantees a great read! very recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waiting Sky.