Jenny's Reviews > The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent

The Parenting Breakthrough by Merrilee Browne Boyack

F 50x66
Mar 12, 12

Notwithstanding the slightly creepy cover illustration and nondescript title, The Parenting Breakthrough is an awesome book! I have a parenting book addiction and this is one of my top 3 favorites of all time. It is by an LDS author, but other than some emphasis on saving money for missions the whole book is applicable to pretty much anybody (religious or not) who wants to raise children who will become decent, self-sufficient, resourceful adults.

This book gave me a longer-term vision for my family and helped me start thinking about what I want our life plan to be so we end up there. It also made me feel okay about giving my kids the amount of chores and responsibilities I do. I've had more than a few raised eyebrows when people find that my 7-year-old makes her own school lunches, or that my 5-year-old folds and puts away her own clean laundry, or that my 3-year-old goes out to the garage and sorts the recyclables into bins completely independently. Am I making them work too hard? This book helped me realize that there are way too many life skills and I've only got so many years to teach them. I'm glad I read it when my kids are still young.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Parenting Breakthrough.