Melissa's Reviews > The Outcasts

The Outcasts by John Flanagan

Mar 12, 12

"The Outcasts" was a fabulous start to John Flanagan's new Brotherband series. In fact, it kept me up reading until 3am, even though I had to get up 5 hours later. You would think that would make it five stars, but I only gave it 4. Maybe it was the overabudance of sailing jargon that even by the end of the book I still had a hard time with. It may be that in typical Flanagan style there is a cliffhanger ending (argh!!!! I hate that!) It may be that I have fallen so in love with the characters in Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series that these new characters I don't know as well are not as endearing. On that point, to give due credit, Flanagan has a masterful way of developing characters in amazing ways as the series progresses. I'm looking forward to that.

I recently was taught about the differences between great leaders and poor leaders. One attribute, that great leaders accept the blame when things go wrong, was portrayed by young 16-yr old Hal, the main character, so well that it made the whole book worth it just for that moment. There were other moments as well, though, where values that I want to instill in myself and my children were displayed: compassion, responsibility, hard work, leadership, unity, forgiving people's weaknesses and building on their strengths, etc. All these things were in the Ranger's Apprentice series, but Flanagan is such an entertaining storyteller that none of it ever seems contrived or redundant.

I'm confident that as the series progresses and these chracters continue to grow and develop, I will be giving 5 stars all around.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outcasts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. (new)

K. Joel really enjoyed it as well, thanks for thinking of him. You made me want to read it too. I'll have to check it back out at a later date. k