Margaret Sankey's Reviews > A Great Aridness: Climate Change and the Future of the American Southwest

A Great Aridness by William deBuys

Mar 12, 12

Read in March, 2012

Since my mother's xeriscaping fight with the city of Nampa, I have paid more attention to the ridiculous idea that you can live however you want wherever you want--especially in the high deserts and plains of the southwest, especially if you insist on exacerbating the problem with golf courses and decorative fountains. deBuys examins drought policies, mostly finding that they are short term fixes in expectation of a return to full use, rather than planning for smaller resources or promoting buildings and landscaping that work with the environment, and which paradoxically, encourage people to be defiant and less willing to recognize the problem. Mostly, I was reminded of Sam Kinison, "YOU SEE THIS? HUH? THIS IS SAND. KNOW WHAT IT'S GONNA BE A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW? IT'S GONNA BE SAND! YOU LIVE IN A FUCKING DESERT! GET YOUR STUFF, GET YOUR SHIT, WE'LL MAKE ONE TRIP, WE'LL TAKE YOU TO WHERE THE FOOD IS! WE HAVE DESERTS IN AMERICA -- WE JUST DON'T LIVE IN THEM, ASSHOLES!" Except we do, and we expect there to be water for the lush green sod.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Great Aridness.