Ann has a dirty mouth's Reviews > Dangerous Grounds

Dangerous Grounds by Shelli Stevens

Mar 12, 2012

did not like it
Read in March, 2012

To be honest, I have no idea why this book is reviewed so highly, as it is easily the worst romance novel I have read this year.

Our protaganist, Maddie, is a rich and beautiful 25 year old woman. She goes to Italy and falls in love with espresso to the point where she will no longer drink regular coffee, and decides to open her own coffee shop back in Seattle. Two problems- 1. She never learned how to make coffee and burns every espresso shot she makes. Her coffee is unpalatable and everyone spits it out. 2. The violent Espresso bandit is robbing and murdering coffee shop workers.

Yes, seriously, the Espresso bandit. To me, I started to lose it when I realized that the villian was a Scooby Doo level MacGuffin. I mean, if you can take the Espresso bandit seriously as a stalker bent on murdering coffee shop workers, not merely an oportunistic bandit, you may like this book better than I do.

Our hero, Gabe, seems like a sweet normal guy. A lot is made of the fact that he is a blue collar cop, and Maddie is a rich princessy type girl. He is, for some reason, able to deal with Maddie being spoiled, selfish and dumb as well as the most sexually forward woman I have read about in a romance novel in quite some time. Not that there is anything necesarily wrong with that, but combined with her rich entitled attitude it makes it seem like she is the sort of girl who wants an Oompa Loompa and wants one NOW!!!! Not the sort of person I would want to hang out with in real life and not the sort I enjoyed reading about.

The sex scenes were fun, but the rest of the book was just strange an unpleasant as Maddie's burned coffee. Some people must like it because it is insanely well reviewed here on Goodreads though. To each their own I guess.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Grounds.

message 1: by Fred (new)

Fred Haha, "not that there's anything wrong with that." It does have a great cover photo, though, that should count for something?

Ann has a dirty mouth Fred wrote: "Haha, "not that there's anything wrong with that." It does have a great cover photo, though, that should count for something?"

You know what they say about judging a book by the cover. ;)

message 3: by Fred (new)

Fred I'm just judging the cover by the cover, and it looks h-o-t. That is all.