Mahina's Reviews > The Pursuit of Cool

The Pursuit of Cool by Robb Skidmore

Aug 21, 2012

Read from April 17 to August 04, 2012

This book is a MUST READ! I really loved this book because the story has interesting, funny and memorable characters trying to figure out life, love and how to achieve their dreams. Yes, its a novel set in the 1980's - the decade in which I spent much of my teen years- but its story really transcends the era. For those who love the 80's (and who doesn't??), they will enjoy reading about the music, movies and pop culture that made growing up during that time unique. Skidmore does an amazing job weaving the 80's through the novel without making it seem like he's trying to do it. Its just part of the story and isn't overdone or cliche. Another fact: the music and movies are all the really cool stuff from that era all there to make not only a rich story but to bring the reader to a deeper understanding of American culture.

And here's what I haven't seen any other reviews talk about: it's quite a poignant, moving tale that shines a bright light on feelings that all of us go through at that time in our lives. Lance's struggle to find "cool" is really OUR struggle to find our place in the world. How do you find joy, love, acceptance and a career you can live with? How do you escape the path set for you by your parents and peers? How do you become your own person? And who will that person be? Are you willing to take the risks necessary to find yourself? Just like all of us, Lance's friendships and romances may take him away from his original goals but they also enrich his sense of self. Ultimately, we all must be allowed to break free and figure it out on our own. This novel makes you laugh, cry and be inspired by that struggle. A super enjoyable read not to be missed!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pursuit of Cool.

04/17/2012 page 346

Ronald Fischman You might enjoy my review of this book; I enjoyed it as a novel and as insight into the era. Whether or not my review is over-the-top, I certainly agree with your assessment that we are all Lance. I think you explained his conundrum, and ours.