Kathryn's Reviews > The Moonstone

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Sep 28, 08

bookshelves: classics, mystery, tyler-and-kate-bookclub
Recommended for: those wishing to read one of the first mystery novels and realize why it's still so good!
Read in September, 2008

This is supposedly one of the first mystery novels ever published and is believed to introduce the prototype for the English detective hero character. It is also the first book in the Tyler-and-Kate Book Club; I will always love it because it's one of the only books Tyler and I could decide on to read together and it was wonderfully absorbing and provided us with lots of grand characters and interesting plot twists to enjoy—and the mystery to ponder!

It's certainly very long and often verbose—I usually find a fast-pace to be more appealing in a mystery—but I believe this was more a character-driven story than a plot-driven one (in his preface, Collins says that means to "trace the influence of character on circumstance") and the mystery (though it was deep and fascinating) was second to the characterization since the tale is told in Narrative form from some half-dozen characters. I feel as if I have befriended Betteredge and his dog-eared and beloved "Robinson Crusoe," suffered through an acquaintance with Miss Clack and her hideous pamphlets, sniffed roses beside Sargent Cuff and felt some of the deep love and longing of Ezra Jennings. Kudos, kudos, Mr. Collins!

I'd also like to point out that this is an excellent mystery for those who prefer a more intellectual and thought-process sort of mystery, rather that one focused on murder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moonstone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Sounds really good! And that's right - the pamphlets lol!:D

Kathryn Do you think you'll read this, eventually???

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Perhaps eventually - I hope so. Though it's length is a little daunting... maybe it'll be my "I've been reading this for ten months" book for next year lol!:D

Melanie Oh, I'm so glad you enjoying your first foray into the wonderful world of Wilkie Collins! If you find yourself wanting more, I recommend The Woman in White next - a bit gothic, but very wonderful!

Kathryn Thank you, Melanie. Tyler and I are already considering "The Woman in White" and I'm glad to know it has your endorsement!

Miriam Collins is awesome with the atmosphere and suspense. I don't understand why he isn't more popular with modern readers who like the dark and mysterious. Do you think it is just the length?

Robert Only 80 pages in so far but loving it. I read the Woman in White and got caught up immediately. What I find so interesting with Collins is that his books are so readable. Very easy to get into and to follow along. So glad that I have discovered him

Kathryn I, too, am delighted to find how much I like Collins! He's one of my new favorites. Have fun with the book!