Charlie's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

M_50x66
Mar 12, 12

Its never good is it when you find yourself having to check wikipedia for an explanation of whats happening but with the Anubis Gates I am afraid I did. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed it and it was entertaining but I found the first half of the book better than the second half and there were too many switches of plot from one character to the next which made it seem scattered. Its been commented before I think that though the story is intriguing and has an air of dark fantasy the writer tried to cram in too many clever elements which served only to complicate matters and I was fatigued by the last 100 pages, wishing that it would end. I have read worse books certainly and this was not bad at all but there is such a thing as being too clever and complex so as to completely confuse or muddle the readers reading pleasure. Its a shame as the story was good but it tried to be too many things at once but the best creation in the book was Horrabin the clown who deserves to be portrayed on-screen. However, the main character had no depth at all and was very easily taken in to believe anything he was told without much thought as to what might happen in certain situations. I didnt connect with him and thats a shame as the story had potential. If you like dark-ish fantasy with a twist of Gormenghast and Neverwhere mixed with magic and history then this is definitely worth a try...just try not to run out of steam before the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.