Ariel's Reviews > Born Blue

Born Blue by Han Nolan

Mar 13, 12

Read from March 12 to 13, 2012

I keep thinking Leshaya's black! But so far at page 141, I'm enjoying the book. Leshaya's insecurities and lack of maturity is starting to annoy me a little.

I might be slow, but maybe why Janie decided to change her name to Leshaya was because she didn't like who she was. Her identity. Maybe that's why she keeps ruining things for people. But boy, is she selfish.

Leshaya makes me think of a girl that is trying so hard to make herself happy(?) that she lies to herself and makes her beliefs come true. (To me it's like how Christians belive in God, ahem.) Like how she wants to be African American so bad, that even when the truth is in her face, she just continues to make believe and pretend she's African American anyway.

It's quite sad, especially about the Paul thing. I thought finally everything will be okay. I cried when Leshaya sang to her mother, the song she created because of her. Honestly the book was just quite sad. Even the ending. She did what was best for her child, even if she couldn't be with her. I really wished she left the Jameses things at the front porch though, to let them know she's better now, that she's no longer the immature, messed up Leshaya.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Blue.

03/12/2012 page 20