Erica's Reviews > The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs

Jul 28, 12

Read from April 12 to July 28, 2012

Yeah, I know, it took me a freakin'-long time to read this. That had very little to do with the actual book, other than the content was the type I like to read slowly and carefully. I just couldn't get through it quickly and I kept having to return it to the library so other people could read it. Thankfully, they always did so far more quickly than I so it never took long to get it back. But I finally finished and I enjoyed the book so all is well that ends well, as some old playwright once penned.

I've decided I just plain like A.J. Jacobs. I think I've mentioned before that I am glad I don't know him personally because I have very little doubt he'd get on my nerves what with his plethora of neuroses. I'd get on his nerves, too, because I would intentionally pick on every one of those aforementioned neuroses. However, I still appreciate him as an author and as the owner of a curious mind. And I agree with everyone else who has said so: his wife is a saint.

In the case of this particular book, I was fascinated by his endeavor to live a biblical life. Coming from an eclectic background when it comes to religion, I was very interested in what he found. I like to think that, were I to take a similar journey, I might arrive at a similar conclusion. It wouldn't happen, though, because I do not have the patience to do that kind of research and I would totally talk myself out of doing biblical things. So, pretty much, if I were to take a similar quest, I'd quit and would come nowhere near to the same conclusion as Mr. Jacobs. But that's ok. He did it and I can read about it and now I know a little more about the Bible than I did when I started this book. (that's not exactly true because I did not do any fact-checking; I should say that now I know a little more about what A.J. Jacobs knows about the Bible than I did before I started this book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Living Biblically.