Emma 's Reviews > Oliver Twisted

Oliver Twisted by J.D. Sharpe

Mar 13, 2012

bookshelves: guest-reviews, classics-carnival

Review by Madison Year 9

As you would expect Oliver Twisted is the main character in this fascinating revival of the classic Oliver Twist. Oliver, an orphan, has to choose between to paths for his future: he can either choose good where he has to help diminish the devils that roam the world or evil and help the devils overrule the humans. During his journey to London his fate will be decided.

Oliver has had a hard start in life, pushed from place to place, being used as a food source for Vampyres, turning him savage and crazy. Finally he escapes, heading for London which he discovers holds the key to his future although he must face adversity on the way.

My favorite part of this book was when Oliver first met Dodge and had to escape the Woe-Begottens. Oliver also discovers that his 'powers' can be used for good. The action during this part was exciting and I really liked that Oliver could be good. Although I really didn't like what happened to Nancy, no spoilers, but I really liked her and felt that in the end she was trying to help. I would have preferred to have this part of the story portrayed differently.

Oliver is by far my favorite character, he is really brave and ultimately good even though horrible things happen to him. Plus his super-powers were really cool [ : D ]

I honestly didn't know what to expect from this unique re-telling of Oliver Twist but I really enjoyed it, it was something unexpected and different and I will be recommending it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oliver Twisted.