Christopher Vera's Reviews > Double Dead

Double Dead by Chuck Wendig

Mar 31, 12

Read from March 12 to 31, 2012

Good first effort by Chuck Wendig. I actually had a similar idea long ago...how would a vampire survive in the middle of a zombie apocalypse? Suddenly the vampire's prey becomes something precious to be protected. Wendig pulled it off much better than I surely could have and it was awesome to see his imagination at work here.

The book moves along at a good pace and he finds a strong voice in his lead character, the vampire Colburn. He follows a few welcome and nontraditional rules for vampirism. His supporting characters are interesting and the abominations that hunt him are especially interesting. I would have liked to have seen more action with them. My only disappointment was how poorly the vampire generally fared in his battles with zombies. I expected him to be a little tougher, although the character is certainly quite a survivor.

The ending was not what I expected, which is a very good thing. Its important to avoid being too predictable. Overall, I enjoyed the book but am not certain if I'd read it more than once. Three stars! I liked this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Dead.

03/23/2012 "Almost done!"