Sergey Shishkin's Reviews > Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node

Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node by Mike Amundsen

Apr 01, 2012

liked it
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2012 — I own a copy

Mike Amundsen is a well-known expert in the field of distributed technology. In this writing he explains the importance of hypermedia for designing a web API and gives a few examples of hypermedia designs.

The title of this book implies a focus on HTML5 and Node.js. HTML5 examples are not specific to the fifth version of HTML though and the Node.js JavaScript code is naive at best. The author argues that the code quality should not distract the reader from the subject of hypermedia design, but in that case I'd rather leave specific technologies out of the title and spare the mundane code listings. Brief excerpts of a few HTTP requests and corresponding responses would be just enough and would make the book one-third its size.

The textual explanation of the three example hypermedia designs is quite repetitious and leaves an impression of a duplicated content. Even if the book was intended to be a reference guide, I'd appreciate Martin Fowler's duplex book format then. It's a shame that the author and the editorial team failed to produce a quality book from the expertise the author clearly has.

Overall, I like this book for the good ideas it contains, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node.