Paiman's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Feb 19, 13

Read from February 10 to 19, 2013

I really enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to many of my friends and fellow book lovers.

The author is talented with her first novel, a bestseller and picked up shortly after its release to be adapted into a film. That is no small feat.

I found myself engaged and wanting to read on because I was curious as to how it was going to play out and end; how the competition/game would play out between Celia and Marco and affect them and those around them. When I thought I had an idea of what was going to happen next, usually something occurred and I would have to adjust my theories in trying to figure it all out.

The novel is full of rich details and descriptions of the circus and all the magic that is involved as well as the era, giving the reader what is needed to form the images in their mind.

Sadly, in a way that is also the one of my minor complaints about the novel.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the details and the descriptions, and it is important for a book like this, but I think the character development of Celia and Marco and their story slightly suffered from it. I just felt that there was just a little too much in describing the circus, the atmosphere and all the acts, all the talk about the competition/circus from the other characters, that developing the story between Celia and Marco got lost. I think there should have been a bit more interaction between Celia and Marco. I understand that they were destined to be together and bound before they even met, the whole love at first sight. Maybe I’m too realistic or whatever, but I would have liked more of their development and getting to know one another and the build up before they admit their feelings to one another. And as much as I liked Celia and Marco, I feel that I still don’t know them that well as individuals/characters like I have with other books.

Overall I enjoyed it and would be interested in the author's future work.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

02/10/2013 "Hopefully will start this one today!"
02/13/2013
10.0% "I haven't been able to read much lately, but absolutely enjoying the bit I have read so far."
02/16/2013
57.0% "Seriously enjoying this book! SO visual and engaging. Although difficult, I can picture it as is a great film." 1 comment
02/18/2013
75.0% "So THEY ARE adapting this into a film. I just wish it wasn't Summit who owned the rights.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out!

Time to play casting director,
lol.
To start...

Kit Harington for Marco.When he's clean shaven and he can rock the period costuming.

Felicity Jones for Celia."

Diane Yay! :)

Pamela Oh - I'll have to read that next!

Keryn Rhule I have to agree about the lack of character development but I still loved it I just would have loved it that little bit more if that had happened. But beautifully described and written.

Paiman Keryn wrote: "I have to agree about the lack of character development but I still loved it I just would have loved it that little bit more if that had happened. But beautifully described and written."

Thanks Keryn! I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong. Just that aspect lacked a bit for me.

It should be interesting nonetheless to see how it gets adapted into a film. :)

Keryn Rhule Me too it should make a beautiful movie and the relationship will probably will be developed that little bit more.