Nataliya's Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

Mar 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia-postapocalyptic

This is the review for the entire Wool pentalogy (my new favorite word, btw). Wool introduces us to a postapocalyptic world where survivors of whatever disaster that made the outside uninhabitable huddle underground in a giant "silo" that houses hundreds of people. As we can predict, the disaster was man-made (*). (view spoiler)
(*) "You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!" - courtesy of "Planet of the Apes" (I give credit when it's due!)

Left - what a silo looks like, in case you are agriculturally challenged, like me. Right - apparently people already live in the underground missile silos. No shit.

Even speaking about the outside has become taboo, and breaking this taboo results in exile to the toxic outside, where - for reasons unknown to most - the condemned take time to clean the silo "windows" before their death, and the survivors inside can enjoy the toxic views for a few more years. For a long time, the Silo has been functioning like a well-oiled machine until we witness a confrontation between a strong-willed young woman who is not afraid to dig through the secrets of this shelter/prison and an equally strong-willed official who for reasons of his own prefers a status quo. The question stands - what is preferable: safety and security or truth and potential devastation? And the answer to that one is not that easy.

This story began as a standalone novella and was subsequently expanded into 4 more volumes (with more potentially to follow, but seems that this particular story arc is complete). The first part has a bleak and haunted, almost vintage sci-fi feel to it. The sequels are more action-packed and touch upon this world's politics (which do not detract from the story). All together they make a fun and enjoyable read. The plot remains tight throughout and all the storylines are compelling. The end may be a bit rushed, but it is still satisfying.

The characters are well-developed and multidimensional. Due to originally unplanned expansion of the story, the protagonist Juliette does not take center stage until the third part, but she quickly and effortlessly becomes the natural center of the story. She is an awesome heroine - rational, practical, level-headed, strong-willed, courageous, tough, and outspoken. She is good with machinery and kicks ass. She is a good friend. In short, she is cool, and I want to be her BFF now.

The story is well-written and a page-turner. Worth giving it a shot. 4.6 stars - rounding up to 5 with clear conscience.

Edit September 2013: 3.5 stars - a skim-through a year later showed me its flaws, or maybe I became more critical. Who knows?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.

message 1: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Howey What a thoughtful review! You put a lot of time into it, and I appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers,
Hugh

Nataliya Thanks! Well, you obviously put a lot of time into writing it, so it was only fair ;)

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Howey I totally want to own that house, btw.

Nataliya You should! Approach the owners and show them your book as a reason why you should own that house. And if sh*t ever does blow up, you will have a nice handy hideout.

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Hugh Howey I'll have to sell a LOT more books first!

message 6: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Wow, Nataliya!

Just ran across your review and chat with the author - very nice! Oh, and I just loved the Kindle sample and bought the book. :)

You are amazing! (But I guess you know that..)

Nataliya Thanks, Jim! I really enjoyed this book, especially the very first novella. I think it's a work of a really good quality, especially given how little of that is found in the works of many self-published authors.

message 8: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Yes, I could see that right away in the sample. Most of the other reviews are glowing as well. Looking forward to it!

Nataliya Jim wrote: "Yes, I could see that right away in the sample. Most of the other reviews are glowing as well. Looking forward to it!"

And I am looking forward to reading your thoughts about it! (I hope you'll do a review once you read it).

message 10: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Thanks Nataliya! I will do so, and hope to get there soon.. :)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) "Those Damned Dirty APES!" (wait, that was chipin Chuck Heston that said that, wrong movie. I'm reading it now, I haven't uncovered your spoiler. It's good so far.

Nataliya I, Curmudgeon wrote: ""Those Damned Dirty APES!" (wait, that was chipin Chuck Heston that said that, wrong movie. I'm reading it now, I haven't uncovered your spoiler. It's good so far."

I'm glad you are enjoying this book!

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Kayser Nice review (with pics!) I've only read book #1 and though it was okay... I think I'll add it to my Christmas list.

Nataliya Brian wrote: "Nice review (with pics!) I've only read book #1 and though it was okay... I think I'll add it to my Christmas list."

Thanks, Brian. I think that book just hit the right spot for me at the right time - love when that happens!

Claudia Just finished the first novella and hungrily munching on the next. Love it so far!

Ingrid Dayton I bought this for my Kindle based on all the stars on Amazon and I'm so glad I did. I loved it. Thank you Mr. Howey!!

Arielle Walker I was given this for my birthday and oh my, I'm loving it so far! I like how it changes between characters, it makes it more heartbreaking when (if) someone dies... Plot is really interesting, the little snippets that keep being discovered are driving me mad with anticipation!

message 18: by Bursleygirl (new)

Bursleygirl Buying it based on this review,another sale towards the house purchase!! ;)

Nataliya Tracy wrote: "Buying it based on this review,another sale towards the house purchase!! ;)"

I hope you will enjoy it, Tracy. It seems quite a few people share my love for this book.

message 20: by David (new) - added it

David Roberts Gonna read Wool. Is it as good as Dog Stars?

Thomas As someone who gave the book three stars, I'd be interested in hearing more about the flaws you perceived upon rereading it. Still, great review!