Kyrsta's Reviews > The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: france, historical-fiction, read-in-2011
Read in July, 2011

“The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette” tells the story of Marie Antoinette, from her beginnings as an Austrian archduchess to her last days as prisoner 280. Marie Antoinette started keeping her journal as a young girl and in it she records her life – her disappointing marriage, her heartbreak of lost children, secret affairs and her fears of the people of France.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book – it was a quick, easy and effortless read. It was fairly well written however I found that the diary format in which it was written was very juvenile. I found that even though it was written as a personal diary, it lacked any real emotion in the writing. I as found it strange that the calibre of Marie Antoinette’s “writing” doesn’t change much from when she was a young girl (of about 13 or 14) in Austria to when she was a 37 year old women in prison waiting to be executed. It was definitely a good effort however there is room for improvement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette.