clear skies's Reviews > Kamikaze Boys

Kamikaze Boys by Jay Bell

2519650
Mar 12, 12

Read in March, 2012

Kamikaze Boys tells the story about bad boy Connor and poor bullied David. Connor sticks up for David and together they form an unlikely friendship and relationship.

A lot of authors shy away from writing teenagers in M/M romance. I suppose they feel like there is too much immaturity at that age. However, Jay Bell shows exactly what one can weave with teenagers as the focus of a romance. His stories remind of the films "Never Been Kissed" and "She's All That" great classic teenage films. They are not serious but they hold a charm, with smooth writing, lovely characters and the ability to make you smile and laugh (or be sad depending on the story).

Connor and David embark on a relationship together. They face a lot of problems in this book, but their love holds strong. I loved this tale. It never got boring, the subject matter actually lent to the possibility of this becoming tedious and a tad childish. However, the author weaved an entertaining tale.

The obstacles instead of being obvious plot devices where actually written as genuine problems. The author manages to make the issue of coming out exactly that - a part of life. As opposed to a melodrama that unfortunately I have read in too many M/M and gay fiction books.

I'm not saying this book is a literary masterpiece. Nope. It's a fun and sweet tale about two boys who fall in love. It's about them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kamikaze Boys.