Tracy Terry's Reviews > This is Not Forgiveness

This is Not Forgiveness by Celia Rees

Mar 22, 2012

liked it
Read in March, 2012

A bit of a difficult start, told by three different characters, Caro, Jamie and Rob, I confess that I was a tad confused as to just who was narrating but problem solved, I soon discovered that each of the three had their own type face - Jamie told his story in your average font, Rob's his in bold print and Caro hers in italics.

A truly dark read, all of the characters had issues that should have made me feel a little empathy for them, that should of perhaps made me more understanding of why they were the people they were and yet I just didn't feel any of this ..... at least not for two of the characters.

Caro and Rob - two individuals I felt to be almost without redeeming features. OK so both had had a tough time of it BUT I still failed to understand them and though Rob's problems could have been laid firmly at the door of the army, the more I read of him, the more I came to realise that his difficulties began much further back.

As for Caro? Partly manipulated by a crowd she so wanted to be part of and, I felt, partly rebelling against parents who couldn't really care less, I did come to like her a tiny little bit more towards the end when I think she began to realise just how deeply she had come involved.

And finally, Jamie. The only half-way likable character and yet I still didn't warm to him. Naive in the extreme, a bit hard of me I know, but a lot of the time I just wanted to tell him to grow a backbone.

A story of adjustments, of discovering yourself, this is a topical read that often left me with a bad taste in my mouth and yet there was something so totalling compelling about it that I found myself reluctant to put it down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This is Not Forgiveness.