Dolly's Reviews > Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night

Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman

1019021
Mar 12, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, childrens, middle-grade, nonfiction, poetry-song-music, science, rhyming, newbery-honor
Recommended for: parents reading with their children
Read from March 09 to 11, 2012 , read count: 1

Our oldest loves owls and is in a poetry-writing frenzy right now, so when I saw this book at our local library, I just knew that it would be great for her. The poems are short, fun to read aloud and many of them rhyme. I loved the poem about the owl and how the poem itself took the shape of an owl. Also, both fascinating and educational are the little snippets of information about each poem's topic that expounds a little on the subject without being overly detailed or boring.
We loved Rick Allen's linoleum cuts and wood engraving print illustrations that really conveyed the mysterious and shadow-filled wonders of the night. Our girls had fun pointing out the eft on each page as we marveled at the pictures. We really enjoyed reading this book together and took our time, only reading a couple of poems each night.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night.