Sian Jones's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: first-person-narrator, young-adult, fantasy-scifi
Read from March 12 to 20, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It's always nice to read an incredibly popular book and find it meets or exceeds its reputation. I really enjoyed the narrative voice; I always love when the narrative anchor is a strong female character, and I thought Katniss's voice was believable and idiosyncratic. The structure and pacing worked very well. The only points I'm going to subtract are for a rushed final chapter (I mean the one where Haymitch tips Peeta off to the post-games strategy) and for its ending on the words, "End of Book One". I know it's a novel in a series, but you *can* give us as readers a sense of fullness, rather than deprivation, on which to end it. I think all that was needed was a shade more of Katniss's emotional reaction to Peeta's pain -- her real reaction in all its complications, rather than the surface reaction of how she justifies it to herself. Just a moment or two where the repercussions reverberate a bit, and the novel would have stuck the landing, while keeping me interested for the next go round. Now I feel a bit begrudging about having to read the next one and feeling a little bit of distrust towards an author who really did impress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.