Kerry's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: audiobook, fromthelibrary, chick_lit, romance, about-a-woman
Read in August, 2008

This my first Jane Austen.

Okay, I LOVED this book. I don't even know why. It's about . . . girls who like boys! Who are jerks! Um, the end! But it was funny. But clever funny, which is my favorite kind. And I enjoyed deciphering the late 18th century prose. It made me feel smart, just to figure out what she was saying half the time!

Also I love all the wacky British society stuff. Like sending notes! And walking places! And having breakfast at other peoples' houses! And I enjoyed figuring out the etiquette of the day. Like, it's improper to exchange letters with a member of the opposite sex with whom you are not engaged? Crazy! But it's cool to be engaged and not TELL anyone? Insane! I love it.

I didn't get a chance to return this to the library right away, so I'm currently audio-book free, and instead of listening to music like a normal person, I STARTED IT OVER AGAIN. Seriously, who would think I would like Jane Austen so much?

The narrator was Donada Peters. I've never heard of her before, but she did a great job. I don't think I'd've enjoyed it nearly as much had I actually had to READ the thing.

I am now going to listen to every Austen audiobook I can get my hands on, and also a biography. I'm reading Frank Herbert and Jane Austen at once! I love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Mom (new)

Mom Now how about Pride and Prejudice, which is my favorite and then watching the movie: the 1940 version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier, the recent version with Kiera Knightly and some cute guy or the TV mini-series with Colin Firth.
Mom

Ashley Librivox.org is a phenomenal site for audiobooks! It links directly to iTunes, and there's often several versions by different readers to suite your taste. Elizabeth Klett and Karen Savage are by far my two favorites! Happy reading! =)

Jess Haha, it made me feel smart being able to decipher her prose, too! XD