Daniella's Reviews > Dark Rivers of the Heart

Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz

Nov 02, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish, thriller, mystery-and-suspense, hated, 2008
Recommended for: only die hard Koontz fans
Read in November, 2008 , read count: 1

This book is made of fail.

I tried three separate times to finish reading Dark Rivers, but unfortunately, it simply couldn't hold my interest. At first, it seemed to have all the ear-marks of a fun, fast-paced, suspensful read. A man with a dark secret; a mysterious woman on the run from a secret, amoral government agency; a sociopathic serial killer cum secret government agent hot on their trail--all in all, this book could have been good. Hell, with its incorporation of high technology and conspiracy theorist undertones, it could have even been great.

Dark Rivers, however, failed to meet even my lowest expectations. Between Koontz' stunted and oft-awkward prose combined with (or perhaps stemming from) poor word choice, and his long-winded, drawn-out descriptions of events, reading this book became a chore after the first fifty or so pages. Not only did it feel at times like he was simply writing to fill up space, drawing out each event or description as much as possible rather than reworking the material to create a longer, more intensive plotline, his insistence on dragging out the final revelation regarding the protagonist's "dark secret" was quite frankly irritating. I found it especially irritating because Koontz employed liberal use of pseudo-stylistic flashbacks in order to relate this terrible secret to the reader, yet he eventually revealed said secret within the normal course of the narrative, making the final, protracted flashback sequences somewhat superfluous and unnecessary.

I could go on, but I think those few points are sufficient to explain my loathing of this book.

So, in conclusion, Dark Rivers isn't worth the paper it's printed on, or the time it takes to read it. I would recommend it only to avid Koontz fans who will read anything he churns out, regardless of whether it's actually good, and also to aspiring authors who wish to learn what NOT to do, because this book stands as a prime example of why "churners" do a disservice to the art of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Rivers of the Heart.

Kevin I fell asleep about two paragraphs into your review.

Long winded,egotistical, arrogant, and quite off-mark.

Karen San Diego haha

Caroline Your an idiot.

Kolby MacLennan I disagree.