H's Reviews > First Family: Abigail and John Adams

First Family by Joseph J. Ellis

Mar 12, 2012

Read in March, 2012

I remember reading a biography of Abigail Adams in eighth grade for an English assignment and just thinking she was so cool, and I thought the same throughout this book. I liked how human the author made John and Abigail feel, giving them plausible emotions and motivations behind the words of their letters and diary entries and painting a picture of the world they lived in as well. I usually have a hard time with nonfiction, but I could hardly put this book down. I especially liked the insight into John Adams; he did so much for the Revolution and for the establishment of our nation, and yet you never hear of him, only of Jefferson and Franklin and Washington, or if you do hear of him it's never anything flattering or worthy of his great achievements and contributions. This book has made me excited to give nonfiction more of a try--taking baby steps with biographies, first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Family.

message 1: by Mimi (new)

Mimi If you are up for a long read, then I totally recommend Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. And I know you just read an Abigail Adams book, so you might not want to read another one, but I enjoyed this one: Dearest Friend: A Life of Abigail Adams by Lynne Withey

message 2: by H (new) - rated it 4 stars

H Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to look into them. The latter, I think, was one of the books the author listed as having served as one of his inspirations, so now I'm doubly interested. I never knew a biography could be so engrossing, but I had such a hard time putting this down!

message 3: by Mimi (new)

Mimi I must warn you though that not all biographies are engrossing. I've read some dull ones even when the person the biography about is interesting. There was a C.S. Lewis one I never finished.

message 4: by H (new) - rated it 4 stars

H Oh boy, I know. Most of the ones I've tried are usually more beneficial in helping me fall asleep if I'm not feeling tired enough.

message 5: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Ha. That can actually come in handy sometimes . . . :)